top of page


Carrickalinga is about 60 km south of Adelaide.

The traditional owners were the Kaurna people. The Kaurna name for Carrickalinga is said to have been Karrakardlangga, meaning 'place for redgum firewood'.
When the first survey was done in 1839 the map produced from this survey was called “Map of the District comprising CURRACULLINGA, BUNGALA, YANKALILLA, AND INGULLILLA.” Carrickalinga had a number of variant spellings before settling down to the current one.
Today Carrickalinga is well known for its beautiful beach, and is a popular holiday destination. In the early days after the arrival on European settlers, however, it was agricultural land. One of the early farms was that of William Barrett, who took up a land grant for section 1023 in 1852 and built a home there, later known as Devonshire Farm. Barrett also acquired numerous other neighbouring sections close to the Carrickalinga river. The farm was later leased by Edwin Davey and finally acquired by him in 1903. Davey extended the original stone building and established the farm as a very successful dairy farm. Another very successful farm in the area was Forktree Station, which was up the hill overlooking Carrickalinga. The old shearing shed is now used by Forktree Brewing for a very popular bar and restaurant.
For a short time Carrickalinga boasted a jetty which was built at Haycock Point in 1923. The site was not a good choice due to its exposed position, and after a period of about three months it was abandoned as a port, and the jetty was eventually demolished.

YDHS resources relating to this place 

To access photos and records contact the Society. 

bottom of page